Monday, August 13, 2012

hello sandwich - hello paper

hello sandwich - august 2012 artist-in-residence hello sandwich - august 2012 artist-in-residence hello sandwich - august 2012 artist-in-residence Hello Sandwich has been at Harvest Workroom for just over a week - what an absolute thrill!
She has come all the way from Tokyo to be our August artist-in-residence and she has settled in very nicely...bringing with her all sorts of treats from Japan of the crafty and edible varieties!
To begin with she set up her beautiful window display and an exhibition of all of the goodies from her new book...it is the first time that these items have ever been exhibited so we are feeling very honoured to share them with Melbourne.
Her book will be available on her blog very soon so keep an eye out for it...it is chock-a-block full of amazing craft projects!
Yesterday was the first workshop hosted by Hello Sandwich - called Hello Paper.
I can't even describe to you the thrill of being in the same room as the Mistress of Cute Stuff as she shared all of her techniques and tips for bringing colour and texture into paper based projects.
Students made their own paper bag from handprinted Harvest Textiles wrapping paper; a confetti bow; an accordion fold-out card; a hanging collage letter; an award corsage; gift tags and present toppers...I think the pics below tell some of the story and you will find more pics of the day here. We can't wait to see what everyone gets up to at the Hello Fabric workshop this Sunday.
We are also thrilled to announce that Hello Sandwich has decided to run one more Hello Paper workshop next monday at Harvest Workroom - it could be worth ditching your 9-5 responsibilities for this special day folks. Bookings here. 
hello sandwich - august 2012 artist-in-residence hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - august 2012 artist-in-residence hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1 hello sandwich - hello paper workshop #1
Below is an interview with Hello Sandwich:
Tell us a bit about yourself. I am Hello Sandwich, an Australian artist and designer living in Tokyo. I run a Japan craft blog called Hello Sandwich. I love Japan, bento boxes, pantone 107.3, and metallic foil, polka dots and plaid, Holbein gouache and flouro pencils and I have a huge crush on Japanese artist Hiroshi Sugito. I absolutely adore living and creating in Tokyo. It’s an incredible and fascintating city and I am inspired here on a daily basis. I spend my days working on craft books, designing, trend reporting, taking photographs, and wandering through Japanese craft shops.

Where do you draw inspiration from? Japan, blogs, creators, books, magazines, walks around my new neighbourhood, food packaging, small zakka craft stores, a new pack of textas, lolly packaging, stationary shops, vintage handkerchiefs, retro greeting cards, textile collections…everywhere!

How long have you been working as a designer? I would say approximately ten years. (Gahh showing my age here!) I was working as Deputy Art Director for Vogue Living for many years before moving to Tokyo. I also studied painting and drawing at UNSW College of Fine Arts. My design work has ranged from editorial design, web design, zine design, and self publishing, craft, craft book authoring, design workshop instructing. I also had a small fashion label which I stocked to Australian small boutiques.

What do you intend to do at Harvest? I will have the mini exhibition and will be showcasing all of the items from my new book. Everything from the book is on show – it is the world premier exhibit for these items! I will be meeting people and doing the workshops. I would also love to print some beautiful dotty papers that people can use for craft making.

Tell me about your book. It has been an incredible opportunity…I keep pinching myself. It has combined everything I love to do with one project..taking photographs, crafting, designing, even the page layout I did when I was at Vogue Living has come in handy. The work was similar to what I did at Vogue but this time I was shooting my own craft items. I always wanted to work with the publisher - BNN...it seems with life you just do all of these things that you love and with the book all of the dots connected.
The book is in 5 different sections and there are 40 projects in the book including items for your bag, pocket tissue cases, gift wrapping, stationary, making tote bags, how to take cute photos and recording your everyday life through photos and journaling.

You are planning on screenprinting some paper during your residency...is this something you have done before? I did it at art school 10 years ago but I will need help getting back into it!!!  With my craft I love making my own papers - I do a drawing, scan it in, print it out. I make everything from scratch so it would be invaluable when I leave Harvest to go back to Tokyo to incorporate the things I screenprint here in my craft…I love the new Harvest dotty print...I might have to use some of that too.

How is it to be in Melbourne? Great...well besides my awkard moment on the tram with my mykie card where I had no idea what to do.!!! I love the cafes, ordering coffeee, ordering pots of beer (we don’t have them in Sydney). Because I am a tourist in Melbourne I am just running around taking photos and instagramming trams… getting lost and asking people where swanston street is.

You have a huge fanbase...where are most of your followers from? I have lots of Australians interested in what I do…I haven't done a workshop in Australia before so the response from the workshops selling out so quickly was so lovely. I am staying in Yarraville and I was in a little bar the other night and someone came up to to me and said "Hello Sandwich!" How cute.
I am so excited to meet everyone at the workshops.  When we put them on twitter…within a few weeks someone had offered to paint my nails with sandwich paints…someone has offered to bake cupcakes for the workshops, Beci Orpin asked me over to dinner…It is great to collaborate with people and it is so nice to be here at Harvest.

What will people experience from the workshops? Although we will only make a few items in the workshop all of the products from the book are on show…hopefully it will inspire people to craft their own shopping list, decorate their own envelopes…there will be lots of ideas and tips to be learnt…the concept of my book was how to live life in a cute and hello sandwich way.

If you can't make it to the workshop but are keen to come and see the Hello Sandwich exhibition you can visit this Saturday August 18th when Harvest Workroom will be open for the Craft Cubed open studio between 12 - 5pm. 
Alternatively you can catch Hello Sandwich on her final day at Harvest on August 22nd between 12pm - 4pm. On both days there will be a mini-making station where you can get your hands busy.
Em x

3 comments:

  1. how joyous! could you please tell me, what hours/days is the exhibition open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can visit this Saturday August 18th when Harvest Workroom will be open for the Craft Cubed open studio between 12 - 5pm.
      Alternatively you can catch Hello Sandwich on her final day at Harvest on August 22nd between 12pm - 4pm. On both days there will be a mini-making station where you can get your hands busy.

      Delete
  2. so much fun!! i also blogged about the hello paper workshop @ http://consciousness-collection.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.