Monday, March 12, 2012

design depot artist profile - evie barrow

Design Depot 2012 - Evie Smith
Our Design Depot school holiday workshop series for 9 - 16 year olds is fast approaching and we wanted to share some extra information about the super-creative talents who will be hosting the classes. 
Today we will feature Evie Barrow of Handmade Romance who will be making soft toys with the children from their own drawings.
Evie has a BA Graphic Design degree and has worked as a designer for over 10 years.
She has a love for character design and in February 2011 exhibited a collection of hand made, soft doll characters in Craft Victoria's enCounter titled The Travelling Circus.
Design Depot 2012 - Evie Smith
Tell us a little bit about yourself. Having worked as a graphic designer for over 10 years, in roles that are heavily computer based I've found myself wanting to create with my hands more and more.
In 2008 I started my blog Handmade Romance as a place where I could share and meet like minded people who also had a love for hand made.
In 2010 I set up an online store where I started to sell some of my handmade pieces. The items in my store also expose another love — character design — something that I really wish to explore further.
Luckily I also love learning and making so this may just happen, although I often feel the days and nights are far too short to fit everything in!
Design Depot 2012 - Evie Smith
Where do you draw inspiration from? All over. An idea might be sparked from an over-heard conversation, people-watching, movies, old photos, books, blogs, op shop finds, markets, a colour or pattern, magazine or news story.
Anything that catches my eye and stays with me long enough to lend itself to something further.
How long have you been working as a designer? I have worked as a graphic designer for over 10 years but I have been a maker of things for much, much longer!
Design Depot 2012 - Evie Smith
Design Depot 2012 - Evie Smith
What is it that the children can expect to gain from your workshop? Time exploring their imagination and thinking of ways fabric can bring their drawing to life. And then making that happen!
What is it that you are most looking forward to in the workshop? Meeting a bunch of great students and seeing what wonderful, crazy, kooky characters they come up with!
We can't wait to see the characters too! Thanks Evie.
Design Depot will be a creative and active way for children to spend some of their school holiday time. Plus it will allow parents to get on with work they might need to do!
For bookings go here.
Em x

1 comment:

  1. Lots of lucky children I do think! I hope we get to see some pics of their creations under Evie's wonderful guidance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.